Thursday, April 2, 2009

I Guess I should Introduce Myself...




Actually, no. I am not going to introduce myself. If you are here you must know something about me already, right? Unless you just stumbled upon this page in some obscene search for the words "Artist Not Rapper". Since you are here you must wonder what these words mean. Separately, they mean nothing but placed together in this order you will find it makes a statement about me.

I consider myself an artist, I refuse to be called a rapper. Yes, I do rap, but the connotations with rap music are just so ignorant that I will not let myself be placed in the same category as Soulja Boy. Some people hear me rap and they don't like it , sometimes I don't like it. This is all changed when I sit down with my headphones on and make a work of art. See there is a difference between rapping and artistry. Rapping is when you can make words rhyme over a beat. Artistry is when you can flip syllables and other forms of language into intricate twists and turns that keep your audience entertained, yet at the same time, they understand what you are speaking of without having to try to pull meaning out of meaningless rhymes.

I look up to only a few artists, even less rappers.This is because most of these famous people don't have any talent at all. They just do what the label tells them to do, no questions asked. Why? Because all they want is money and fame. This is what our race has come to? We don't seem like Harvard, and Yale graduates. We don't seem like the top companies in this country. We don't respect our elders. We don't enjoy helping others. This needs to change right now, because in the eye of others we seem ignorant, uneducated, and causes of violence. We can do better people, how about we try?

No comments:

Post a Comment